Old March 13th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Liz

In message
(elliot) wrote:

My wife and I also wish to visit Zanzibar, but how long we might stay is
something we cant decide on.
We enjoy a bit of night life, sidewalk bars and cold beer in the
afternoon...I have no idea how the issu of alcohol may be treated in
Zanzibar as it seems to have a large Islamic.

Oh yes, but the Zanzibar version of Islam is very 'laid back'.
E.g. I noticed that no-one stopped working at prayer times on the building
site next to our hotel on our last visit. I asked about it, and got a
strange look, and was told, "people can't stop working just because it's
prayer time!".

I don't remember seeing any sidewalk bars (in the sense of being able to sit
out on the pavement), but then I wasn't looking for any. There are lots of
bar/cafes though, but I didn't see any women in the 'local' ones as opposed
to hotel bars. That doesn't *necessarily* mean it would be frowned-on.

IMO, the best thing to do at night is dinner at Emerson and Green's (aka New
Emerson's)

Slainte

Liz

--