Old November 5th, 2006, 04:12 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Cohen

Default Passenger Alert - Delta Airlines

Delta is bankrupt ("in bankruptcy").

They are trying to survive.

They formerly spent zillions of $ to brag how superb & terrific they
are.

I suppose that image is by-gone.

No longer does that smiley-face public relations attitude ring as true.

As the glib guy said, "travel insurance, " and it is not the worst idea
for the future.

You're also allowed to complain, and to do what your are doing in
calling the naive public's attention to (imho) a shabby practice.

Imho: They should've allowed you to change the date for a $50 or a
$100 fee per ticket.

They seem to be filling-up seats perhaps by shrewdly (duh) conducting
less flights--so I especially don't like why they think that
alienating/(perhaps) opportunistically scalping customers whom are in a
funeral crisis is not unethical/counter-productive.

So, continue to post your individual experience--at the least others
will know--buy travel insurance in the future, and re-consider the
expenses, hassles & risks of airplane travel versus the utility
thereof.

B-t-w: Would your Virgin, BOAC, and the others have treated you better?

I personally would not fly within Italy again because of the cruddy
way I was treated by Al Italia, which walked-out and cost me a $100+
for a motel room.

hoggi wrote:
I believe that as a regular visitor to the United States for the past 10
years that it is my duty to bring to the attention of my fellow
travelers the manner in which Delta Airlines recently treated us.

Highlights:

·My wife and I were booked on Delta Flights 1417/36 from Orlando via
Cincinnati to London departing Orlando on Monday 16th October 2006.

·On the 9th August 2006 we received the sad news that my wife's mother
had un-expectantly passed away and naturally we immediately made plans
to fly her back for the funeral and to be with her family in this time
of grief.

·On the morning of the 10th August I called Delta Airlines Reservations
to request a date change for her return flight to London, explaining the
circumstances of the case. Despite several appeals and offering to pay
for the date change the Delta official was adamant that it was not
their problem and that if my wife wanted to get back earlier, she would
simply have to purchase another air ticket.

·Due to the urgency of getting her back as soon as possible there was
no way that I could take this matter up with Delta at that point and I
was therefore forced to purchase another ticket for the flight to
London at a cost of $1164.50.

·I subsequently checked my e-ticket and it clearly states on the ticket
"This is a special fare ticket. Changing your reservation may result in
penalties." This clearly confirms that the nature of this ticket was
such that changes were permitted but could incur penalties. The Delta
official had refused to offer me this option.

·On the 1st September 2006 I E-mailed Mr Lee Macenczak, the Executive
Vice President of Delta Airlines, bringing the circumstances of the
case to his attention and requesting confirmation that the manner in
which this matter had been handled was indeed official Delta policy.

·Mr Macenczak passed the enquiry onto an Executive Assistant Tina
Umland for investigation and she first contacted me by E-mail on the
5th September 2006.

·On the 25th September I received confirmation from Tina Umland
regarding their official policy regarding such circumstances and I
quote from her E-mail "Under bereavement circumstances, we would
normally rebook passenger, charge difference in fare but waive all
penalties."

·Tina Umland went on to say that under the circumstances they would be
prepared to refund the return portion of my wife's original ticket.

Facts:

1.Delta Airlines confirmed that it was not their official policy to
force passengers to buy another ticket under bereavement
circumstances.
2.The ticket in question made specific provision for changes against
payment of certain penalties.
3.Delta Airlines confirmed that under such circumstances they would
normally rebook passengers but waive all penalties.
4.Delta Airlines failed to inform their staff of their policy and as a
result I as a passenger was forced to purchase another ticket for my
wife at a cost of $1164.50.
5.Now Delta Airlines have agreed to a refund of only the return portion
of my wife's original ticket and expect me the passenger to carry the
can for the additional costs of $614.40, which have been incurred by me
as a result of their failure to adequately train their staff.

In my opinion it is truly amazing that a huge international
organization such as Delta Airlines would confirm that the matter had
been handled in a inappropriate manner yet still expect the passenger
to foot the bill for their failure to adequately train and inform their
staff on company policy.

If you believe that their actions are reasonable, then I suggest that
you continue using the services of Delta Airlines. If on the other hand
you agree that Delta should indeed refund the additional costs that I
have incurred as a result of their inefficiency then may I suggest you
carefully consider your options before booking flights with this
carrier?

--
hoggi