Old October 17th, 2007, 05:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Bert Hyman

Default New Trend? or Old News? ~~Mandatory~~ self check-in

(SBC News) wrote in
:

In the wee-small pre-dawn hours checking in for the 6:20 NCL to CDG
the people in the check-in line (yes, those with luggage to check!)
were being forcibly removed by an attendant and forced (literally
no choice) to do a self-check-in at a machine first. Then they were
"allowed" to go back in line and check their bags.
Is this mandatory self-check-in common in Europe *even* for those
checking baggage? Is it unique to good old Air France?

Could this have happened because it was in the "wee-small pre-dawn
hours" and the counter wasn't fully staffed?

I recently took an early flight from MSP to ORF and on arrival at the
terminal found the NWA counter dark. Eventually, one or two people
showed up and started turning things on, and at that moment the only
way to check in was through the self-service terminals. I don't know
if things returned to normal (or what used to be normal) later.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |