Old October 17th, 2007, 06:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air
me[_5_]

Default New Trend? or Old News? ~~Mandatory~~ self check-in

On Oct 17, 11:56 am, "SBC News" wrote:
[snip]
Is this mandatory self-check-in common in Europe *even* for those checking
baggage? Is it unique to good old Air France?

Either way: it sucks imho. I was only dispensed one boarding pass from the
machine anyhow, for a 2-leg flight to IAH, and confusion ensued.

I am interested to hear feedback from the group. I think those who are
machine-o-phobic, old, or have baggage to check should be allowed to choose.

It is coming, and quickly, if its not already here. I suspect
"self"
check-in via a website will become "mandatory" somehow, in
an effort to offload the entire "front desk" cost to someone else.
Only gate agents will be around, and only close to the flight.

My computer hostile wife is going to have to come (dragging
and screaming) into the 21st century soon. I haven't exactly sprinted
in myself, even though I was an early user of the web for travel.

I actually see the "re-rise" of the travel agent industry where one
goes to a travel agent, either in the airport, or just off property
(maybe even at your rental car counter) to handle the check in
process and then basically proceed directly to the gate.
(Quite honestly I'd be just as glad to "check" my bag at
the rental counter prior to boarding the bus and then just
heading to the gate).