Old October 17th, 2007, 10:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air
SBC News

Default New Trend? or Old News? ~~Mandatory~~ self check-in

Fair enough.

But I flew a few months from NCL to AMS and no such thing on KLM (which even
though now ~~affiliated with~~ Air France I think of as an "old school"
airline versus AF and even BA). So it may vary by carriers as well. It's a
bit like the new and insidious trend at some supermarkets in the US, to have
you bag your own groceries (they've already introduced unload your own
groceries onto the checkout which was not the case even 15 years ago). Hey,
up each ticket $5 or add $5 to the grocery bill and hire check-in clerks and
spotty youths to do this will ya? Nah, that would be too simple. Why not
impose on an already weary travel populace even more and save the dosh.

bb

"JohnT" wrote in message
"SBC News" wrote in message
t...
Could this have happened because it was in the "wee-small pre-dawn
hours" and the counter wasn't fully staffed?

No I don't think so. The 2 check-in stations (2 lines) were manned as
normal. AF only have 2 stations per flight for check-ins at NCL normally
I think.

It is the same with British Airways at Newcastle and, certainly, also at
Domestic check-in at LHR. The only way to check-in other than online or at
a machine is when you don't have a PNR recognisable by the system, such as
when on a ticket issued by a Code Share Airline (such as AA) or on some
bulk tickets.
--

JohnT