Old September 20th, 2009, 08:31 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Hiram

Default Getting insurance

lid wrote:

Like yours the NZ state health system doesn't cover travel insurance
outside NZ. But considering that my wife's aunt died alone on a gurney
in a corridor of a public hospital in the UK after being forgotten -
literally - by the idiots who work in that system, I'd sure as hell
have private health insurance if I lived in the UK.

I work for a company that supply private healthcare here in the UK.
There are some procedures operations you could only have done in the
state system. Unless, you are extremely wealthy. The private hospitals
only tend to do minor or cosmetic operations. Not only that, you'll
often find the same surgeons working in an NHS hospital as you would in
a private one. They tent to do both.

I'm not here to defend the NHS, but the current UK government has spent
billions upgrading the system. Not sure when your wife's aunt died, if
it was recent then I'd be disappointed.

I've used the state systems all my life, as have friends and family,
personally I have nothing but praise for it. But peoples mileage will
vary. As it would in any health system, look at the amount of
malpractice claim that are filed each each with private healthcare.

Have you tried google? Here's the list that came up the first time I
tried:

http://www.google.com/search?q=trave...n___NZ308&aq=t

It not getting insurance that is the problem - it either too expensive
or doesn't cover me for over 30 days in one trip.