Old June 4th, 2014, 02:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

Default US airports: 'menacing, cramped and devoid of humanity'

"Bill" wrote in message
On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 11:59:44 +0100, Mike O'Sullivan
wrote:

On 03/06/2014 23:53, Dan Leifker wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-humanity.html

Depends on the airport, but in general I agree with this article.

Not all U.S. airports are wastelands. Portland (Oregon) has one of the
nicest airports I've ever visited, and San Francisco's airport is going
through a very slow remodeling that may be a sign of things to come in
21st-century U.S. airports. The new Terminal 2 at San Francisco
(domestic travel only, sadly) is spectacular, with lots of restaurants,
work desks, shops, and seating galore.

But the article is spot on with respect to passport control at U.S.
airports, which approaches something from Dante's Inferno. When I fly
into Frankfurt or Munich, I spend maybe 5 minutes in the Passkontrolle
line. When I return to the U.S., I deplane and literally run as fast as
I can to get to U.S. passport control before the lines start to mass.

Thanks for link to article.

You're welcome. My daughter is currently living in Pennsylvania. The
only downside to returning to the UK on a visit is that she dreads the
whole US immigration experience on returning.

Everyone does.

Why do customer facing US uniformed immigration officials at
international airports carry pistols? Have any of them ever shot
anyone?

I just don't understand why they have to be so goddamned rude

It's possible to be firm, but polite

tim