Old November 6th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Peter Webb

"GCRYAR" wrote in message
We are pretty open on the trip. We have about a $14,000 budget and enjoy
the
outdoor stuff. Australia Zoo is a must, as is the outback and reef. We
are in
our 50s. We only know what the Crock hunter has taught us about
Australia, so
any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Glen

Don't worry about driving on the wrong side, its easy. Australians have to
do it all the time when we travel, and everybody adapts quickly.

Assuming you have a few weeks, as has been speculated, stay in Sydney a few
days (you won't need a car - cabs and ferries around the city will be faster
and cheaper. Dunno about the "Australia Zoo", but what many to be the second
best zoo in the world (after San Diego) is Taronga Zoo in Sydney - an
excellent ferry trip from the city. It also has spectacular views of the
city. The only thing the tourist zoos that Taronga doesn't do is let you
touch (some) of the animals. See them both and make up your own mind. Go out
to Bondi beach (20 minutes from city centre), check out the scene, then walk
around the coast to Tamarama - the most beautiful 1.5 kms coastal walk I
have seen in the world. Eat in good restuarants when in Sydney and all big
towns - restuarants are very good very good value by Western standards, and
the food far more interesting than you can easily get in the US, so worth
spending some money on.

Drive from Sydney up to the Gold Coast, or fly (about $90 each on Virgin
Blue http://www.virginblue.com.au/ or Jetstar http://www.jetstar.com.au/).
If you drive, you can take a couple of days and explore the coast. Having a
car is very useful for the Gold Coast - its attractions are spread over 50
kms of coastline. From the Gold Coast, you can drive 1.5 hours south and
visit Byron Bay; very interesting place, and go north 2.5 hours to Noosa, an
upmarket resort town. Check them both out, and you might want to stay a few
days in one of them.

Inland from the Gold Coast - and in the whole SE corner of QLD - there is
great bushwlaking and national parks. Obviously buy a guidebook.

Fly up to Cairns - its 2,100 kms from the Gold Coast. The reef and
rainforest are both very near; the only place in the world where two world
heritage sites join. If you have the time, book yourself into a resort on an
island on the reef. If you are still physically active, then you are not too
old to learn to scuba dive. Learn to do it at the resort.

From here you can either

1. fly to Ayers Rock (airport is called Alice Springs, but its a few hours
drive away). Desert country, obviously. Then fly back to Sydney. Or
2. Drive to Darwin across the top of Australia (its sealed all the way, even
in February you will be OK), maybe 4 days. This more open country changing
to tropical wetlands. From Darwin you can take tours of magnificent natural
parks (eg Kakadu). This is what I would prefer, but its not the dry desert
outback you probably expect. Then fly back to Sydney, via Alice Springs if
you have time.

You will have a great time in Australia. However, you clearly need to learn
a little more about the place before you come. It saddens us when all you
know of Oz (Australia) is what Steve Irwin tells you.