Old April 8th, 2008, 12:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

Default Time to stop flying?

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 22:12:16 GMT, (John Kulp)
wrote:

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 22:52:55 +0100,
(David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 19:47:56 +0100, "Gerald Oliver Swift"

Mobile phone calls will be allowed on planes flying in European airspace
under new European Commission rules.
The decision means that mobiles could be used once a plane has reached an
altitude of 3,000m or more.

I can imagine it won't be long before a phone user has his phone inserted into
him/her.

It won't be cheap. Most transatlantic flights I've been on recently have
air phones in economy, and I can't say I've noticed people using them
much.

They never used them much in the US domestically either, which is why
Continental pulled them all out.

I used them once when we had to let our hosts in L.A. know
we were delayed. About $10 for a one minute call in 1993.