Old January 21st, 2004, 08:58 AM

Default Driving on the right (was: US going metric?)

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message ...
"Mark Brader" wrote in message

No, if you actually look at the statistics, you find that the right is
far more common by all measures. All of the Americas, all of continental
Europe, all of the former Soviet Union and China, and most of Africa
uses the right. While there are, of course, a number of populous or
otherwise important countries that drive on the left, all of them are
either island countries of have Indian Ocean coastline -- not a large
part of the world.

India is rather large as I recall and they drive on the left as does
Pakistan.
In Africa Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa,
Mozambique, Somaliland, Malawi, Botswana and Lesotho

In Asia Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand drive on the left

Finally as an exercise for the reader there is one US territory
where they drive on the left.

The virgin islands of course,
Ed in Australia

I wonder how many people know which it is ?

Driving on the left is somewhat more common for trains than for road
traffic, but that's a separate question.

I've seen no evidence to suggest that either is superior.

There really is no significant advantage to one or the other, provided
that *everything* is correspondingly reversed. For example, it would
be idiotic for a country that drives on the left to allow drivers to
turn *right* on red allowed after stopping. Nobody has actually done
that, but there are other such asymmetrical situations where countries
have used right-of-way laws that would make more sense if they drove on
the other side.

Actually I dont recall coming across the turn right on red
rule in Europe, it seems to be a US thing

Keith