Old July 17th, 2004, 05:44 PM
ggg

Default Worth staying in a classy hotel?

PTRAVEL wrote:
"ggg" wrote in message
om...

(PTRAVEL) wrote in message

. com...

I'm sorry, but you're completely and totally wrong. The 5-star hotels
I've described ARE hotels of the country in which they're in -- they
are run by nationals, staffed by nationals, decorated by nationals,
and stayed in by nationals. They are NOT Americanized. The
restaurant at the JW Marriott in Hong Kong, which is acknowledged as
one of the best in that city, serves their meals with chop sticks, not
knives and forks (as does room service). If you want western
utensils, you'll have to ask for them.

Not that that determines whether they are "Americanized."

The JW in Hong Kong isn't.

I wasn't talking about the JW when I responded to the relationship
between utensils and being Americanized.

My wife is from the PRC and I'll go by her
opinion as to whether a Chinese restaurant is good and authentic.

Well, lucky you and me (my MOM's Chinese albeit not PRC), luckier still
if she skims the local magazines for new places to eat. English
language guides and recs aren't as current.

Some are, some aren't. None of the JWs are.

The crappiest HK eatery I've been to was a YMCA and there were no
Chinese patrons.

You've clearly never eaten at the JW's restaurant. It is mostly Chinese
patrons, and many of them are not hotel guests.

You're right we've never patronized a Marriott. What does that have to
do with the Y? We went in for a lark and found missionaries. Next
time, I'm going to talk to a missionary in HK.

Which restaurant are you talking about?