Old August 13th, 2006, 11:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

Miguel Cruz writes:

I don't think the service would work without accurate clocks; extremely
accurate timekeeping is a key element of the system used to select cells
and hand off calls.

If it works like GSM, it has to be relatively accurate, but not
absolutely accurate with respect to time of day.

Yes, I have used NTP to keep my computer's clock accurate for at least
10 years. Which is why its agreement with my cell phone is so
confidence-inspiring for me.

I've written a program that beeps like the time signal from WWV. It
soothes me at night to leave it running. All the hands of all the
clocks in my apartment move in lock step, in perfect synchronization
with the beeps. Even my watches do that.

I can think of a practical use for extremely accurate time, by the
way: watching solar eclipses. Totality is often measured in seconds,
and if your watch is off, you miss the show. I used GPS timing for
the last one I observed.

It's nice to hear, by the way, that Windows has finally caught up in
this regard.

It required widespread, continuous access to the Internet, which is a
fairly recent phenomenon for home computers, if not office computers.

You may want that, but I don't see why it's important or why 99.99% of
people would care.

Since it has no disadvantages, why not use it?

People buy more quartz watches than mechanical watches, and greater
accuracy is part of their motivation.