Old September 23rd, 2009, 12:05 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default seek advice driving the Connecticut Route 169 scenic road

"Allen Bates" wrote in message
We plan to drive from Boston to Hartford, Connecticut this late October.
We wish to take the famous scenic Route 169. Has anyone drove this road
before? Please advice what road we should use?

"famous scenic" Rt 169 ?
Where exactly is starting point ? ( BOSTON = big area)
If in Cambridge/Boston:
Rt 2W to 495S to 290W -~20 miles = end of 290 ( at Rt 90 Masspike)
NEXT exit ( 100 ft beyond Rt 90) is Rt 20 W
About 6 miles - left onto Rt169 thru Southbridge
then Rt 44 W .

Where should we get off Hwy 84 to cut onto Route 169? Near Glen Grove? Are
there any good road side stops we should take?

If it's scenery you want, don't get ON 84/ Rt 90.

Can you please tell us what is the road condition and what we should
prepare for?

Lots of stop and go thru each town center, then 40 mph to next town,
slowdown/lights - repeat etc

What is the total driving time? Thank you.

varies - use google maps for stops along the way.
I've driven it - only " to get somewhere", not to 'enjoy the drive'.
Rt 290 = 25 miles at 55 mph.
From Rt 290+US 20 exit to Southbridge center is ~30 minutes.

Where should we turn west? Should we turn right and take route 44?
Is it worthwhile to turn off and do any sight seeing at U-Conn?