Old February 6th, 2011, 03:30 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Erich Spitzweg

Default Beware of over-friendly locals in Marrakesh

peterpan1805 wrote:
The saying that "the wider the smile, the sharper the knife" is to an
extent true. On my way to the Merdesa, a young local claiming to study
Economics at university offered to lead me but instead guided me to the
tannery. Though interesting as well, the tannery was a trap really as
after he passed me on to another man who explained the process of
leather making (see my Off the Beaten Track tips), I was whisked off to
a nearby shop where the real business began. Luckily, I got out of what
could've been a a long and arduous bargaining session by saying that I
was only a student and have less than 100 Dir with me (always does the
trick!).An eye opening experience and the only thing I lost was 5 Dir to
the two "guides". MORAL of the story: Not to say that carrying on a
conversation with a local is bad, but be very wary if you ask one
question and s/he seems to be overly enthusiastic about giving you
directions (just how many people would walk 20 minutes with you all the
way to a place that's in in the opposite direction of his original
path?). Just remembers: Non-money mongering locals often point you in
the right direction, but wouldn't walk you there. A good way of getting
the right directions is asking shopkeepers, since they've got better
things to do (say, looking after a shop!) than to go after the pennies
in your wallet.

Oh yes, I know this place!
http://geo.bb24.biz/index.php?lat=48...kesh,Moro cco