Old September 17th, 2009, 06:13 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
John Oliver[_3_]

Default Accommodations and Transportation Advice

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 02:02:51 +0100, thenotebook
wrote:

We are planning our first trip to New Zealand Feb 19 - Apr 9. We arrive
in Aukland and plan to visit both islands. We're starting to explore
accommodation and transportation options. We've tossed around the idea
of renting an apartment in Aukland, which seems to be reasonble. But,
of course, has the downfall of tied to one location. Also wondering if
we should rent a car. Campervan. Buy a car. Or use the bus. We're
looking for the right balance of economical and flexible. Is the bus
service sufficient and flexible enough? We like the idea of not driving
since we drive on the other side of the road. Is it economial and
feasible to search for accommodation as you travel from place to place?
Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

The intercity bus service http://www.intercity.co.nz/
is good and cheap but leaves you with the problem of getting around
town when you reach your destination.

There are motel guide books which list motels in all the cities and
towns. They tend to run about $100NZ a night and are comfortable. I've
used rental cars and chosen motels from the guide books when I got to
my destination.

I do not advise that for Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch,
Queenstown or Te Anau. Those are the big tourist destinations.

You should check the exchange rate for the New Zealand dollar against
your own currency.
http://www.xe.com/ict/
--
John Oliver