Old January 7th, 2007, 12:17 AM posted to alt.travel,houston.general,rec.sport.football.college,rec.sport.soccer,rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

Default [OT] Best and Worst American Cities according to Europeans

In article ,
"striker" wrote:

Europeans, particularly Italians and French, besides living in two of the
most beautiful countries in the world, are known for their good taste when
it comes to quality of life (food, clothes, cars, night life, weather,
women, etc). According to a recent poll these are the impressions of
Europeans about American cities.

5 Best (the least American cities):

Miami
San Diego
NYC
San Francisco
Boston

5 Worst (typical American cities):

Houston
Dallas
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Cleveland

Most Overrated (these cities are not necessarily bad, just plain overrated
by Americans who have no standards):

New Orleans
Austin
Los Angeles
Chicago
Las Vegas

Do Americans agree?

I speak for only myself. I have never taking such ratings seriously.
What does "best" mean? What "standards" do Europeans have that are so
much better than those of Americans? What is a "standard" anyway in the
area of deciding which American city one enjoys visiting?

I have been to Miami, San Diego (briefly), NYC (many times), San
Francisco, Boston, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas.
In fact, tomorrow morning, three friends and I depart from Philadelphia
on a one week visit to Las Vegas.

Of the cities I have been to on that list, I have had a great time on
each visit. Probably my least favorite is New Orleans, but I still
enjoyed my one visit there about ten years ago.

I think its possible ot enjoy visiting any city; its just a matter of
finding something unique and interesting to do on your visit. Saying one
city is better than another is silly because we all have our own taste
and interests. I have been to Las Vegas many times and I definitely
don't think its overrated. If some people consider my taste sub-par. So
be it. I couldn't care less.