Old January 30th, 2007, 12:30 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation,misc.transport.urban-transit
SMS

Default LA Times: U.S. Love Affair With The Car Ending

Bolwerk wrote:

The ironic thing is that sometimes SUVs really don't provide that much
in the way of additional passenger space anyway.

Depends. The Honda Pilot seats eight, and most minivans seat eight. It's
not just for transporting your own kids, it's the softball team, soccer
team, etc. It's probably better to have three minivans or SUVs than
seven or eight compact cars. It's also about transporting other family
members, i.e. grandparents.

That's why it would be most fuel-efficient to be able to have a small
car for commuting, and keep the larger vehicle for use only when
necessary. I do that by bicycling to work when possible, but sometimes I
need a vehicle during the day.