Old October 5th, 2007, 02:58 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
gtr

Default Which guidebook for Japan?

On 2007-10-04 09:53:03 -0700, Alfred Molon said:

Somebody claimed the LP is not very good. Which one would you recommend?

I take LP which is not very good, but on the other hand has information
in smaller towns that others don't contain. When necessary, it's
invaluable. Even moreso: Gateway to Japan (Kodansha). If you're not
exploring odd/small locales neither is that important. Our all purpose
is Frommer's. though it certainly has it's failings. Chief among them:
"Dining" seems to be an aid in helping you find non-Japanese
restaurants. But helpful with hotels and sight-seeing.

There are many others: Tokyo for Free, and many others that lock onto
Tokyo only.

If you're going someplace far far away, I recommend going to the
library and reading through ALL of them. Then buying which the two
that seem best suited. I take the same approach to phrase books as
well.
--
///---