Old April 17th, 2010, 10:27 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Spehro Pefhany

Default gmail access in China

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 22:20:49 +1000, the renowned "Peter Webb"
wrote:

I'm travelling to Yunnan province in China next week.

China famously blocks Google. Will I be able to access my @gmail.com email
address while I am there?

Peter Webb

I don't recall any trouble with gmail in a couple of trips in the last
six months. If you do run into issues you can always sign up with a
proxy. So far they don't seem to have a probem with foreigners using
them. Most recently (January) the main thing I noticed that was
blocked was Facebook, and some google searches choked. I happened to
use Skydur, which worked splendidly, but shop around, there are
others. Not expensive. Enjoy Yunnan.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany