Old September 22nd, 2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
proffsl

Default Driver Licensing not about highway safety

Dave Smith wrote:
proffsl wrote:

Virtually everybody over the age of 12 CAN drive a car safely.
The question is WILL they drive safely, and driver licensing
CAN NOT answer that question.

Demonstrating ability and compliance for a test is obviously not a
guarantee that they will drive safely later on. Most of the scariest
road tests I took out were the senior drivers who had acquired 50
years or more of bad habits.

Once again, you provide supporting evidence that what I claim is
correct. They've been driving for 50 years, presumeably safe enough to
not have their license taken away, but they 'scare' you more than the
new drivers who've had no such safe driving history.

I'm quite confident in my conslusion that Driver Licensing serves no
purpose to highway safety that laws against endangerment didn't
already serve.