Old March 9th, 2009, 01:32 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.cruises
Bob Myers

Default East/South-East Asia Trip Suggestions

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Bob Myers says...

I guess Alfred judges a city solely on its "historical" content,

No, I never said so.

But it is also true that HK is essentially a jungle of skyscrapers. It
has a breathtaking skyline, but everything else is very mediocre.

HK island itself, around Central, certainly. But Hong Kong is
so much more than just Central.

Hong Kong is not in the same league as Tokyio. Two or max. three days
are sufficient for Hong Kong, while after one week in Tokyo you have
barely scratched the surface.

Actually, for most people a week spent in Tokyo would be
more than enough - especially if that's the only time they've
got to spend in Japan. There's certainly more for the dedicated
Tokyophile to see and do after a week, but I would never
recommend that the first-time visitor to Japan spend a week
there if that was all the time they had. Three days, perhaps,
and then move on. Would you really have someone spend a
week in Tokyo if it meant they wouldn't get to see, say, Kyoto
or even Kamakura, Hakone, and the rest of the Fuji area? (Or
are you considering that latter to still be part of "Tokyo"?)

And I could certainly put together an itinerary for more than
just 2-3 days in Hong Kong which would have the visitor
seeing something new and interesting each and every day...

Bob M.