Old July 15th, 2006, 08:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.misc
B Vaughan

Default Chirac warns of 'African flood'

On 15 Jul 2006 00:59:51 -0700, "Hooverphonic"
wrote:

B Vaughan wrote:
On 14 Jul 2006 12:01:22 -0700, "Hooverphonic"
wrote:

but if I look at what is on the news about Africa its always doom and
gloom from a people / wildlife / environment perspective.

if the population is going up there will only be less to go round and
they will remain in poverty, with wildlife and environment suffering
the consequences.

Africa is at present not very densely populated, though, so population
increase doesn't necessarily mean that the environment will be
trashed. Also each African represents a tiny percentage of the world's
energy consumption compared to a European or an American. I remember
how very dark the nights were in Zambia, even near cities, and how
luminous the stars were as a consequence. It was really a beautiful
country, red soil, dark green vegetation, very blue rivers and skies.

However, rapid growth means an ever-increasing burden on schools,
hospitals, and other resources. The last I heard, though, growth is
slowing down, mainly due to decreases in fertility.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it