Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:59 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

Default Stopover for 4 days in Bangkok

"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti
om...
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 22:03:48 +0200, "Thomas Endt"
wrote:

"Manfred Aigner" schrieb
Any suggestions for a relaxing stopover destination that is:

a.) beach

b.) with facilities but not too touristic (e.g. I did not like
phuket/krabi/phi-phi too much)

c.) easy to reach from BKK airport so that we do not spend too much time
traveling to and from the site

Hmmm... then you probably won't like Pattaya either.
What about Koh Samed? Or a bit farther away: Koh Chang?

Thailand has been so successful at promoting the country over the last
couple of decades that a nice beach with facilities but few tourists
is just about nonexistent these days.

Samet Island should be a good choice. It is a national park, so not even a
Thai politician.... I mean developer can not seal the island from one corner
to another by concrete. However, I don't quite understand why to restrict
the potential selection to nearby locations close to Bangkok.We are living
an era of cheap flights......

Air Asia flies to Phuket for a few baht. Travelling time to Phuket is about
80 minutes. The airline has the hub in the new airport in Bangkok, so no
transfers there. On Phuket the most remote beach is not far away. Air Asia
also flies directly from Bangkok to Krabi and Surat Thani (from the latter
town there are boats to both Samui and Phangan). They also have flights to
Narathiwat which is a neighbourhood with nice beaches (well, the province is
witnessing some moslem violence).

Weatherwise Samet is probably a winner over these beach destinations in
Southern Thailand because it rains a lot less there in September in average.
Hua Hin and Cha Am could be also attractive choices in this respect. And
naturally Bali which beats all the other destinations mentioned above hands
down. Timetables may be unfit for such a short time vacationing on Bali (for
a reasonable fare anyways) and the air tickets probably cost several time
more than to domestic destinations.