Old August 19th, 2004, 04:57 PM
John W.

(abcd) wrote in message om...
Hi all,

I've just been told that I'm about to leave to Japan! I've got a
business meeting to go to in Kyoto, and since I've never visited Japan
before I decided to take quite a few additional days off for a total
of about a fortnight. Due to the short notice I haven't had time yet
to buy guidebooks and stuff, which I'm doing ASAP. In the meantime I'd
appreciate any and all advice as to places to visit. Some general
hints:
- Trip will take place approx during the first two weeks of
September

Great time of year to visit. Might be hot, though.

- I'm flying into/from Tokyo-Narita

Out of curiosity, if your meeting is in Kyoto, why are you flying into
Tokyo, three hours away?

- I'm not on an overly tight budget but I don't want to spoil myself
either
- My only compulsory destination is Kyoto where I have to spend a few
(2 to 4) days anyway

What's your meeting schedule in Kyoto? Are there any plans associated
with the meeting that would prevent you from doing some stuff in the
early morning or early/late evening? Also, where will you be staying
(Kyoto, Osaka, etc.)? I've found that in Kyoto in particular a lot can
be seen walking around in the morning. You might not get to the main
temples/shrines, but certainly some of them should be possible. And
that will free up some time for you later when you have true days off.

- Given the limited timeframe my preference lies with culture rather
than nature. This is a sad choice as I'd love to do both but I
definitely don't think I can embark on a mountain hike (which I'd
love to do BTW) in such a short time

Visit Mt. Koya and you'll get both. Good hiking, good temples, good
onsen, good ryokan. Also, as an alternative when you're in Himeji (and
you should schedule that as part of your trip; great castle) you could
visit Mt. Shosa and the temple complex there. You can hike up to it
fairly easily. Also in Himeji you can do a short walk to Otokoyama and
the Senhime shrine, which is a bit unspectacular but gives a chance to
really stretch your legs (see my posts on this topic in this
newsgroup) and see a side of Japan a lot of people miss.

Another fairly easy walk is in Kobe. Probably Kobe won't be on your
itinerary, but you might consider staying in the Shin Kobe Oriental
Hotel. I've never stayed there myself (used to live next door, though)
but I've heard some of the rooms have spectacular views. There are
also good restaurants in that part of Kobe, some of the best in the
area. The hotel is next to the Shin Kobe Shinkansen station, which is
also a launching point for a short hike to Nunobiki Waterfall and a
small overlook (I've got a long post on this as well recently). It's
no more than an hour hike, but the view is nice and refreshing. But
probably not worth a special trip.

- I definitely don't want a car, also given the world-famous Japanese
rail services
- I adore Japanese cuisine (particularly sushi), so any food-related
advice is specially welcome

I don't have any specific recommendations for food except for good
places in Kobe (mentioned above; if you're staying there ask the hotel
concierge) and a good Oden (traditional cuisine) restaurant in Himeji.
I don't remember the name (learn the hiragana for Oden; I think that's
all that's on the sign), but I can give you directions if interested
(I've already been a touch too verbose, so email me and I'll send them
to you, along with a map).

- Someone told me about "ryokans" (sp?) and if I understand correctly
what they are all about, I'd love to stay there. Any suggestions?

A Ryokan is simply an inn. Some are traditional, some aren't; like
anything the name gets applied a bit liberally at times. Depending on
where you go they can be expensive. A lot also have onsen on site. If
you want to travel a bit out of the way you might consider spending a
night in Kinosaki in northern Hyogo prefecture. Around three hours
from Kyoto, about the same from Himeji. Might make a good place to
stay for a night then head on to Himeji from there. I like the feel of
the town; it's small, in the middle of nowhere, and has some excellent
baths. Others will probably chime in with their favorites.

You should invest in a rail pass. If you're staying primarily in the
Kansai (Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, etc.) area, JR West has a Kansai area pass
that might be a better deal than a full rail pass. However, if you're
company is flying you into Tokyo you might talk them into getting the
full JR Pass (one trip to/from Tokyo makes it worthwhile) under the
guise of really saving the company money (which it probably will).

One site for planning rail travel that you might need is Hyperdia:

www.hyperdia.co.jp/cgi-english

I've been verbose; hope it helps.

John W.