Old March 12th, 2006, 01:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Is a day trip enough for Gubbio?

"R@L" wrote in message
l...

"DC" dragoncarer@woops wrote in message

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:58:55 +1100, "DC" dragoncarer@woops wrote:

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
m...
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:44:46 +1100, "DC" dragoncarer@woops wrote:

Thinking of pottering off here for a day trip, what do you all think?

You could certainly see most of Gubbio in a day. What did you hope to
do or see there?

I don't know - it's early days yet. My friend has just been looking
around
for day trips, and she's read a little on it so far. Chiefly that it
sounds
like a beautiful place to visit, scenery, architecture, etc.

I live a little over an hour's drive from Gubbio and it's one of the
places I like to take visitors. I don't know where this day trip is
originating, but other possibilities would be Assisi, Todi, Spello,
and Urbino.

There is a good museum in Gubbio. One of the things in it that
fascinated me was the Eugubine tablets, a series of metal tablets
inscribed in Latin and the ancient Umbrian language, which served as a
sort of Rosetta Stone to decipher the latter. I don't know if that
sort of thing interests you.

No it does - that's spot on the sort of stuff I'm interested in looking
at. Gubbio is just sounding more and more desirable all the time...thanks
again.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero

The museum is right on the Piazza. I remember those strange plates also
and the coins.
In the church I mentioned -on the hill- you find, beside the beautiful
interior itself, the 3 zeri
(candles) which are run up the hill each year by the locals. It a battle
of life and death like the Siena Palio.

Have fun,

Ronald

I plan to! Thankyou so much!