Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:07 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Default Trip across asia - includin indonesia malaysia singapore and thailand

Climbing Merapi doesn't take a 21 day or 6 day trek. First of all I wouldn't
recommend climbing it at the moment, you must be aware that it is spewing
out lava and gases and is dangerous.

If you are determined to climb it, you have two main options, the usual is
from Kaliurang which is south of the volcano or from Selo to the north. Most
non-Indonesians climb it from Kaliurang with a guide from Vogels Hostel. I
suspect that Christian, at Vogels, who organises treks from Kaliurang will
not organise treks up Merapi at the moment, although he may have some treks
on the lower south eastern slopes.

The route from Selo is straight forward just follow the path upwards, but is
still dangerous and should not be undertaken at the moment. I did it several
years ago when it was quiet. I stayed the night at Selo, got up just before
sunrise walked up Merapi alone and was back down to Selo by late afternoon.
The next day I was told by a colleague that eight of his friends had gone up
Merapi from Selo and that near the summit they were enveloped in toxic gases
and five of them died. So it can be dangerous even when not erupting.

Your plan to visit 4 South East Asian countries in 2 weeks is as dumb as
your idea of climbing Merapi at the moment.

Selamat Jalan,

Pete Loud
Maps of Indonesia etc. etc.
www.peteloud.co.uk/

"G" wrote in message
This is a long post guys - be warned.

i recently decided to doing a trip across some of asia during a span of 2
weeks. now before ppl tell me its too short a period of time please
understand i dont get alot of vacation. i keep track of posts on this site
and find it alot more useful than some articles on the net.

this is my itenerary so far.
I plan to visit Jakarta from Canada for a day. I dont know the best way to
get from Jakarta to Java to climb Mt Merapi (assuming it doesnt

explode!!).
i'd like to know the names of a couple of trekking agencies that do the
peaks of these mountains without doing 21day or 6 day treks. i dont have

the
time. perhaps 1-2 days max.
After that i plan on going to Bali for some beginner scuba diving thing

for
a day. Does anyone have any recommendations on this?

After that hopefully a day visiting Singapore and a day in malaysia

followed
by a few days in Thailand visiting Phuket ( i saw some pretty good trips

on
http://www.phuket-travel.com/water_a...ge=rafting.htm but if
anyone has recommendations im more than willing to check it out) then
Bangkok before flying back to Toronto.

What do you think? doable or too hectic?

Cheers