Old September 25th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Miguel Cruz

Alfred Molon wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Far as I can tell, the only significant increase has heen in snatch thefts
perpetrated by guys on mopeds who grab purses from women walking along the
road. Recently one or two victims were dragged along and badly injured or
killed, and it's gotten a lot of press. The only reason I think this is
actually increased rather than just getting a lot of press is that the
police seem to be responding to it a lot.

Is this a consequence of a deteriorating economy ? How is the situation
of the economy right now ?

Everyone (even the foreign press) claims it's doing well. Chinese people
tell me it's Indonesian illegal immigrants making all the trouble. I don't
really know what to believe on that score.

By the way, my wife also told me that I shouldn't use the credit card,
even in Sungei Wang or BB Plaza because people might copy the data on it
and create a copy. I've never had a fraud case in these past 15 years,
but should I perhaps be careful and only use the credit card in big and
"established" places ?

Here I agree with her completely. I've had my card cloned twice already. I
pretty much don't use it in Malaysia anymore except at ultra-high-end
joints, or places where I get to swipe it myself. I'm about to start
insisting on taking a digital picture of any cashier I use my credit card
with.

Huh...? Is there a Wifi hotspot in that park ?

They're everywhere now. It's quite nice. For instance, there's one you can
reach sitting by the fountain behind KLCC. And I don't think there's
anywhere in the Bukit Bintang area that's not covered by at least one. For
some of them you need to buy a card (TMNet or Airzed) but the cards are
really cheap. Others are free, provided by Time Broadband for some reason.

The only nuisance at night, when you walk back from KLCC to Jalan Alor
used to be that male prostitute at the corner.

Still plenty of those. The good news is that they start to ignore you (or at
least me) after a while.

BTW, I'm also used to walking around even at night in KL with expensive
computer and photographic equipment and larger amounts of cash. I never
felt unsafe

I don't feel any less safe than I did years ago here.

I haven't been in KL since last December, but would have classified KL as
relatively safe. Maybe not as safe as Munich (Germany), where there are no
bad neighbourhoods, but probably safer than places like Rome or Paris.

I agree.

Then again, I moved here from Washington DC, so my standards of "safe" were
possibly a little looser than some.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 31 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu