Old January 12th, 2013, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K

Default Cruise Critic, Banned!

On 1/5/2013 12:03 PM, wrote:
I just wanted to know if I am the only one. Seems like I might be. What a distinction, even Hitler wasn't banned from Cruise Critic!

And I say fine. It was just a big waste of time. How often can I read the food was "yummy" and the beds were "comfy"?

I'm thinking cruising is for people afraid of the real world. Everything is planned and controled. There is no place on the ship to get a picture that hasn't been taken a hundred times before. The crew are all programed to respond politely. Even the port stops are a controlled experience. No wonder the old folks at CC were afraid of me.

I went on two fine cruises. I've also been to DisneyWorld. They were memorable, controled experiences, but I have no desire to repeat them. I have other adventures to explore before my time is up here.

As for suing them, it is not my desire. If some lawyer has nothing better to do, I'd lend my name just for the experience.

I have training as a professional photographer. I disagree with the
statement that there is no place on a ship that has been photographed
before. (The implication being that there are no more original ways to
photograph the ship.) With a little imagination even the most
rudimentary amateur can take a stunningly original photograph.

As for the controlled environment statement. There is nothing to keep
you from going off the beaten path to experience something new and have
a richly fulfilling adventure. One of my favorite things to do in a
port-of-call is to roam the back streets and visit places that haven't
been "discovered" and included in the main tourist zone. I'm sure that I
am not the only person that thinks this way. With a little bit of
looking you can find something to interest you on Cruise Critic or any
other travel board. I don't post there frequently, but when I do I often
mention some of my discoveries and offer tips on how not to look like a
wealthy tourist mark for unsavory characters to take advantage of.