Old July 15th, 2007, 05:44 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw

Default Immigration patrols on domestic Amtrak

"Martin D. Pay" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 22:39:37 -0700,
mangled uncounted electrons thus:

On Jul 14, 6:44 pm, "Bill in Schenectady" wrote:

We were on the Lake Shore Limited, traveling from Chicago to Schenectady
(the train goes on to New York City) when, just after the Buffalo stop,
the
train stopped and two uniformed immigration patrol officers boarded and
walked through the coach class cars asking each person if he or she is
an
American citizen.

And this surprises you because...?

Amtrak official policy (as stated on their website) is that
government-issued photo ID is required to purchase a ticket.

Does that mean a US-government issued ID?

No

If so, the tentative
plans my wife and I are making to use Amtrack for internal travel
(rather than fly internally within the USA) on our next visit
won't be possible...

British passports are OK, I've used Amtrak no problem.

Keith