Old January 21st, 2013, 10:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

Default Marathon Delphi, Greece Top Three Travel Experiences?

On 2013-01-20 14:02:05 -0600, Poetic Justice said:

Dan*Stephenson wrote;

-- but *Greece* itself is just incredible!

And furthermore all the myths are set

there.

Including modern day Marathon Race myths:-).

http://tinyurl.com/bcuje9k

It's a nice blogpost on the myth of the 490BC Marathon battle site to

Athens messenger run that didn't happen.

I suppose it's possible that a messenger was sent but even if so, it was

such a very minor event that it wasn't recorded nor was the runner's

name.

Plus a 26mi run was a 'cake walk' for those messengers and if he dropped

dead at the end of it he was in the wrong line of work:-). Regards,

Walter

True, there were professional runners in those days, however, if I

remember the history of the situation, the Greeks were very concerned

the Persians were going to go around Cape Sounion and land near Athens

itself. The runner wasn't just bringing word of the victory. He was

also giving a warning, so maybe time was more of the essence and he

didn't jog the whole way, but sprinted? One's person's hypothesis.

Visiting the Marathon site was one of my favorite experiences in

Greece. It was so COOL to drive down the beach drive and ahead of me

was the very beach where the Persians landed! And there is a great

little museum a little inland that houses the very Ionic column erected

in commemoration of the victory. How cool is that. A bit to the

south/west is the mound of the Plateans and some cool tombs.

I am in love with Britain, but, my, Greece is so special. If only it

had British weather, it would be perfect! I hate the Greek sun, it is

brighter than any other sun I've experienced. It must be all the light

colored rock at the sites I visit, reflecting the sunshine.

--

Dan Stephenson

http://stepheda.com

Travel pages for Europe and the U.S.A. (and New Zealand too)

We go to Greece to escape the Brit weather! :-))