Old November 15th, 2007, 12:57 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

Default An American's Impressions

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:23:27 -0600,
.. wrote in
:

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:51:54 -0600, Janet Wilder
wrote:

Frank Slootweg wrote:
wrote:
We have just returned from our 3 week cruise-tour of Australia and New
Zealand. W
Great report and thanks!!

I live in the States and have never been to Aussie land
but want to someday

A warning: Only do it if you can afford to come back!

Our once-in-a-lifetime trip to Australia was in 1995. Next year we
will go on our seventh-in-a-lifetime one! :-) It's a sickness and -
luckily - there's no cure. So don't say 'we' didn't warn you!

What will keep it a "once in a lifetime" trip for us is the plane ride.
Don't think we can handle that again.

Janet, did you take a flight from your nearest airport to either one
of: DFW/SAT or IAH then to LAX and then a direct flight to ? [SYD].

This would make it an extremely long trip. I never have done it i.e.

But the direct flights are much better than years ago.
When Continental used to fly the route, their route was LAX to
Honolulu to Auckland then to Sydney/return same.

At that time, other airlines went via Honolulu, Rarotonga or Tahiti.

Cath

When I flew down on Qantas in the sixties, their shortest great
circle route was LAX/ HNL/ SUV/ SYD [Los Angeles/ Honolulu/
Suva, Fiji [Nandi airport] / Sydney.

Shorter route than the others from memory.

Cheers,
Kangaroo16

From memory, was a 727 aircraft. I don't remember whether the
18 hour trip included the one hour refueling and rest stops at
HNL & SUV or not. Watched the lights of LAX on takeoff, as first
time had flown in a passenger jet. Nothing to see until HNL, so
went to sleep. The HNL / SUV leg was more interesting, so
stayed awake for my first sight of the south sea atolls and
islands. More than had expected, actually. Had enough sleep
on the LAX/HNL leg, so didn't bother with more from SUV/SYD.