Old November 8th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Derek F

Default Naples, Sorrento, Sicily

"Terryo" wrote in message
m...
I'm planning to spend (alone) about two weeks in the Naples, Sorrento,
Amalfi Coast area and another two weeks in Sicily. I have some
questions:

1 - I'd like to swim at the beaches in Sicily. Will the water be warm
enough in May, or should I wait until September?

We went to Sicily in March and it was warm enough. For a real experience try
to get to Vulcano or Stromboli for a few days. Stromboli has a nice safe
usually active vulcano and black sand.

4 - I had planned to rent a car in Sicily, since I want to see ALL of
the island. But I would prefer to take a train between coastal cities
and bus to inland towns rather than bother with a car. Is that
feasible?

We spent three weks travelling by bus and train. The trains are a bit slow
but it is much more interesting and relaxing. One problem was that stations
were sometime a bit out of town and often did not have a bus or taxi
service. We usually found that someone would offer us a lift into town.

5 - Tips, things to see or avoid, recommended restaurants and hotels
(80 euro range), are very welcome. (I have Rick Steves's Italy and
the new Eyewitness Guides to Naples/Amalfi Coast and Sicily.)

We often stayed in private houses after meeting people on Hydrofoils or
asking about accommodation as we were there in the off season. We rented a
nice house one time and on Stromboli an exoctic bungalow right on the beach.
It had been designed by it's architect owner who also invited us to dinner.
Derek.