Old November 15th, 2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

Default An American's Impressions

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:17:47 -0600,
.. wrote:

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:33:07 +1100, Alan S wrote:

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:23:27 -0600,
.. wrote:

Janet, did you take a flight from your nearest airport to either one
of: DFW/SAT or IAH then to LAX and then a direct flight to ? [SYD].

This would make it an extremely long trip. I never have done it i.e.

But the direct flights are much better than years ago.
When Continental used to fly the route, their route was LAX to
Honolulu to Auckland then to Sydney/return same.

At that time, other airlines went via Honolulu, Rarotonga or Tahiti.

Cath

In '67 I went SYD-NAD-HNL-SFO in a 707. On the ground for
re-fuelling at both Nadi and Honolulu. Returned the same
way.

In '03 SYD-LAX was direct 13 hours. I prefered the broken
reverse trip in '06, LAX-HNL, three days in Waikiki, then
ten hours in daylight HNL-SYD. But if you use that one, make
sure you fly Qantas, not Jetstar. Same route and timing but
different carrier on different days of the week.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

I used to love the transit thru HNL as I'd take bumps and get to spend
24-48 hours in Honolulu as a guest of the airline!

I've been looking at a trip home in the not too distant future via
Honolulu and have come up with the craziest routings.

Most have me flying Hawiian via Sydney then Air New Zealand via
Auckland [AKL] to my final destination [when there are direct
international flights from SYD to CHC]; some are routing me back to
LAX then a direct flight to AKL.

There are several direct HNL to AKL flights, plus HNL to Nadi [Fiji]
with a direct flight into CHC yet they rarely come up most likely
because of the cost [Air New Zealand who else!].

If you like island-hopping there is also an Air Pacific
route via Kiritimati (Christmas Island) and Fiji. The rules
are complicated and you stay either one hour or one week
IIRC:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/