Old February 20th, 2019, 04:24 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,sci.physics.particle
Ivan Shmakov[_2_]

Default A week-long watch at the Taiga Observatory site, 2019

[Cross-posting to news:rec.travel.asia & news:sci.physics.particle
for reasons. I’m going to be checking both of them from time to
time over the next few weeks, so feel free to post your followups
to either or both of them as appropriate.]

Not unlike a year before [1], I’m yet again on a week-long watch
at the “Taiga” observatory site [2‒4], located (very) roughly at
the midpoint between the Shuluta ulus and the Tory village
proper, in a bend of the Irkut River in Tunkinsky National Park,
Buryatia.

We’ve reached Irkutsk by train in the morning, 14th, and within
a hour or two were on a car to the site. We’ve arrived there at
perhaps 06:30 UTC, and our shift began the next morning.

This time I’ve brought a digital camera with me; some of the
photographs are already available from Wikimedia Commons [5].

[1] news [2] http://taiga-experiment.info/
(May as well be called “Taiga Observatory,” I suppose, as there’re
hardly any conditions that can feasibly be controlled.)
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunka_experiment
[4] http://openstreetmap.org/?mlat=51.8099&mlon=103.0673
[5] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sp...s/Ivan_Shmakov

--