Old October 21st, 2004, 05:47 PM
Steve Bougerolle

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:27:24 +0800, Chris Blunt wrote:
Something Singapore has that's definitely missing in Hong Kong are the
fantastic hawker stalls. In that sector the market, I agree, Singapore
does have more variety, probably as a result of the wider ethnic mix
in the Singapore population. The nearest Hong Kong equivalent of those
seems to be Cantonese only.

Let me register my vote for Penang for "Best place for food in Asia" while
we're on the subject.

Despite that, I still can't see how 'food no good' can even remotely
describe the Hong Kong food scene.

It's got a lot worse over the last several years, as the food courts
disappeared one-by-one. There are a lot of Chinese restaurants, of
course, but the local love of MSG seems only to be increasing.
Despite that, there is still quite a lot of good food around but it's not
one of Hong Kong's selling points, I'd say. Lots of places outside Hong
Kong (including Vancouver) have better Chinese food.

--
Steve Bougerolle
http://www.bougerolle.net