Old December 1st, 2005, 11:55 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Default Bangkok

Chris Blunt wrote:
On 1 Dec 2005 02:23:18 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote:
On 30 Nov 2005 02:34:07 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

And if you read that you'll notice 2 things (I should say if you're
*honest* you'll notice 2 things). One is that this is only used in the
UK that way. I'm not a Brit and neither are the Thai people I was
talking about and they are not in the UK. So UK slang is just a little
bit irrelevant.

So go on then, back up your claims with some evidence, just as I did.

My evidence is simple. I did not call anyone a prostitute. It's there
in my post. You are trying to create a meaning that isn't there. I'm
not sure why but when you first stepped into this thread you made a
comment disagreeing with me then for reasons of your own decided to
take a cheap, personal shot. Pick a fight, as it were. Then you
escalated with this phony claim that I said something I didn't say. Now
you're weaseling around claiming that because you think that some
obscure British slang applies to Thailand.

You said they were "on the game", which means they are prostitutes.

Maybe in the UK. But it doesn't to me and it doesn't to Thailand.

I've proved that with links to numerous independent references to
support it. In an attempt to weasel your way out of it, you've tried
to claim the expression means something else, yet you've been unable
to produce even a single reference to support that. Unless you can do
so, my claim that you called the Thai people in Khao San Road
prostitutes stands. Either put up or shut up.

Whine all you want. You got caught lying. Simple as that.

Well it certainly existed a few months ago. Its true it has since
changed its name to Nevada, but its the same place inside. After
reading so much about what you'd written about the place, I dropped by
there once, and what did I see inside... the name Tchiowa painted on
the mirror as being one of the customers who "rang the bell" to buy
all the girls a drink, in exchange for which he got a t-shirt and was
able to take home one of the girls for the night.

How many years ago? Or are you conveniently ignoring that?

You first started posting about what you do with the girls from that
bar several years ago.

Not in Usenet. And "several years ago" is actually about a decade ago.

I don't really care what you get up to in
there, but I doubt whether a leopard changes his spots.

Just because you still won't grow up doesn't mean others can't.

Interesting comment. Goes to prove what I asked in one of the first
posts. Several times during threads in Usenet (particularly in travel
groups) people discuss the hotels they stay in. Before I moved to
Thailand I used to stay in the Marriott quite regularly. There is
absolutely nothing that could be considered "bragging" about that. The
fact that you consider it "bragging" says something about you and your
attitude toward people. Back to the old "if you're not poor you're not
as good as us" viewpoint. People who stay in the Marriott are middle
class. If you consider middle class to be bragging you have said a lot
about where you are coming from. I think the operative word would be
"jealousy". Of the middle class!! At least we now know why you stay in
Khao San Road.

In fact I've never stayed on Khao San Road. I've also stayed at the JW
Marriott a couple of times. I could afford to stay there every time,
but I think its overpriced for what they actually offer in practical
terms. I normally stay in 3 or 4 star hotels in other parts of
Bangkok, but just because I choose to do so doesn't mean I have to put
down budget travelers who want to stay somewhere cheaper.

And I don't put down other peolpe because they choose to stay in a
cheap hotel. But what I do put people down for is when they do drugs,
sell drugs, hang out with druggies, etc.

Sorry if that offends you.

And *YOU* quite specifically put down people who stay at the Marriott.
You've done so a couple of times in this thread.

I'm not so
insecure that I have to *prove* to others that my choice of travel
lifestyle is the *only* respectable one there is.

But that is *EXACTLY* what you have been doing. I quite specifically
said that there is nothing bad or wrong with travelling cheap. And
there is nothing wrong with staying at a tourist hotel like the Nana.
And there is nothing wrong with staying at the Marriott. *YOU* quite
specifically referred to the cheap area of town as "one of the few
places" where normal Thai associate with foreigners. That is a clear
claim that it is superior to most of the other areas and thus a clear
put down to others.

I don't see it as a
class thing, and I don't make assumptions about people simply based on
what kind of hotel they choose to spend their money on.

Then why did you make the comments that you did?

I suppose one of us has to end this as it's gone on too long. I don't
suppose you'll care at all but I (for one) used to have quite a bit of
respect for you. I didn't necessarily agree with your opinions but at
least you expressed them in a decent way. Your decision to enter this
thread with a personal "snide remark", your repeated lies about what I
posted, your slurs about real Thai people, your put down of people who
don't stay in $2 a night guest houses, all have combined to change my
opinion of you. Like I said, I'm sure you won't lose any sleep over
that. But at least now I know a bit more about your ethics. Or lack
thereof.