Old October 15th, 2011, 10:13 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Panawe

Default Road trip USA Nat'l parks

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:15:16 -0700, jim davis wrote:

Where you flying in to? Suggest San Francisco or Seattle. 14 days is
limiting as you are talking 1000s of miles and 500 a day driving is
about tops. A couple of days in Yosemite is minimum. So much to see and
so big. The drive on highway 1 down the Pacific coast is unbelievably
beautiful but would take 2-3 days minimum. Lots of great small places to
see, eat, etc. Whale watching IMHO is best in Hawaii. Could you squeeze
that in?
So much more to say as I lived in Hawaii then Northern California 30+
years and later retired to Washington on the Pacific coast. Any
specific questions let me know. Jim

On 10/10/2011 6:33 AM, Panawe wrote:
Hi,

Advice please. I am planning a road trip (fly-drive from UK and stay in
hotels/motels) to the western US next year and I have a number of
questions.

I would like to go whale-watching and see Yosemite and Yellowstone
Nat'l parks (and others if feasible).

I don't like cities.

I am planning on 14 days, is this long enough?

Should I buy a package holiday or just book fly-drive and stay wherever
I end up?

If I book a package could someone recommend a good tour operator?

What's the best time to do this? I was thinking of October 2012.

Are there any hotels that I should not miss?

Are there any events I shouldn't miss?

Can someone recommend a book?

Any possibility of an astronomy event, star-watching party?

Thanks in advance, I realise I've asked a lot of questions.

Hi Jim,

I've posted this already but it was a mess, what do you think?

Day From To Miles Sights
1 BHX SFO
2 San Francisco San Francisco 0 Alcatraz
3 San Francisco Monterey 121 Coast road
4 Monterey Monterey 0 Whale cruise
5 Monterey Morro Bay 123 Coast road
6 Morro Bay Sequoia, CA 93286 148 Scenic
7 Sequoia, CA 93286 El Portal 151 Scenic
8 El Portal El Portal Scenic
9 El Portal El Portal Scenic
10 El Portal Lake Tahoe 206 Travel
11 Lake Tahoe Shasta Lake 236 Travel
12 Shasta Lake Crescent City via Klamath Falls 320 Travel
13 Crescent City Fort Bragg 216 Scenic
14 Fort Bragg San Francisco 170 Scenic
15 San Francisco San Francisco Shopping
16 SFO BHX

Looks better now! Missed out Crater Lakes and Death Valley, perhaps I
should combine some of the travelling days? What do you think?

Phil

--
Panawe