Old October 23rd, 2003, 03:42 AM
Geoff Rait

Default NZ weather in November--what to pack?

In , "Sarah" wrote:

I'm trying to pack light, but I don't want to do laundry. What sorts of
clothes should I pack? If I wear a sweatshirt and have a fleece, should
that be enough? What about at night?

You'll be fine with a single midweight or heavier fleece. There's no need
for insulated pants or jacket - although the south of the South Island *can*
get cool in November, it's not the Rockies; for most of your journey, you'll
be close to sea level. If you really want to be on the safe side, take a
wool hat and some polypro gloves as well, or buy the hat in Chch, Queenstown
or Te Anau (you should be able to find a nice tacky one with kiwis or sheep
all over it).

Essential on the route you're doing - especially if you plan to do even a
short hike off the Te Anau-Milford road - is a good waterproof/breathable
raincoat.

Geoff

--
Actually, I do have spots.