Old September 25th, 2003, 05:23 PM
congokid

Default Ireland, November Weather?

In article , stephanie
haumueller writes
thank you for your advice. I feel a bit out of sorts going in November
when the weather may take a turn for the worse, but that's the way it
is! I'm sure we'll make the best of it.

It's difficult to guarantee the weather in Ireland at any time of year.
On one holiday there about 10 years ago, I think it was in June, I had
to buy a coat in Donegal town to keep rain and wind off me. It was like
a waxed Barbour jacket, but much cheaper, and I used it for most of the
rest of the holiday.

What is the rain like in Ireland? I would assume it varies, but is it
more of a misty light rain? or do you get serious thunderstorms?

Misty light rain, which can be fine but very persistent and last most of
the day, or days. Next up would be a drizzle - just as persistent but
heavier. I think thunderstorms are rare at that time of year.

Also, as far as staying in a castle, do you think it's worth the
money? Or would you recommend staying in a nice manor house or farm
house? Castles are very expensive, but if it's worth the money, I'd do
it!

I prefer B&Bs as the newish ones are quite clean and provide a great
service at an affordable price, but I've often thought of splashing out
occasionally. They're not exactly castles, but these places would be
nice to stay in if you're in the particular area:
http://www.currarevagh.com/
http://www.adaremanor.com/
http://www.dunravenhotel.com/
http://www.ghanhouse.com/

and most do good food as well. For more check out:
http://www.irelands-blue-book.ie/

I understand one of my favourites (just visited, didn't stay overnight)
Bantry House, is closed to guests until 2004.

You may find yourself staying in a lot and enjoying some of the better
pubs and restaurants. When I went, I found Egon Ronay's Guide Ireland to
be very useful, but I haven't seen a recent issue. The last appears to
have been in 1996, but it's a starting point if you can get hold of a
second hand copy.

Have a look also at:
http://www.pubhub.co.uk/index.htm
although many counties don't seem to have any entries yet.

For more try:
http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles...ons/index.shtm
which has a few selections and some more links to try.

And try entering www.'countyname'.ie, changing the bit in inverted
commas, into your browser address bar for local information. Doesn't
work for all counties, though.

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...