Old July 1st, 2016, 06:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
W. Wesley Groleau

Default Burgos to UK or Ireland on short notice

On 07-01-2016 07:08, Paul Aubrin wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 17:30:44 +0200, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:

Did not succeed in persuading Spain to give me a two-week visa and have
to be out of Schengen on 4 July. Trying to avoid flying due to the
weight of my bag.

Andorra is outside of the Schengen zone.
http://visitandorra.com/en/summer/th...elling-advice/
information-on-customs/

Even harder to leave than Gibraltar. Impossible to leave on land
without re-entering Schengen.

Getting inconsistent results from Rome2Rio, so wonder whether anyone has
knowledge (i.e. NOT guessing) about bus/train/ferry.

Best thing I have so far is buses Burgos to Rennes, train to Cherbourg,
then ferry to Dublin but the schedules are such that one missed
connection will result in a Schengen overstay.

Planes are easy, but the choices are very expensive ticket with some
baggage fees or cheap ticket with HUGE baggage fees.

Buses. For historical reasons there are few long distance buses in France.
http://www.eurolines.es/en/

Rome2Rio told me Eurolines but the route didn't exist. I didn't know
France well enough to find another route.

http://uk.ouibus.com/
Paris Bercy to London by bus 9H00 29EUR.

Didn't find that one, either. After digging a while, bought ALSA bus
from Burgos to London for €113. Probably can't get refund. Had to wait
till the third to get a seat. Going to the bus station today to see
whether I can bump it sooner.

For train connections see voyages-sncf
http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

Ferries
Brittany ferries:
July 3rd, foot passenger
Bilbao Portsmouth departure 10:30 Arrival 09:00
Santander Portsmouth departure 17:45 Arrival 20:45

Didn't see those either. Hmmm.

Thanks for the info.

--
Wes Groleau