Old July 12th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Nick FitzGerald

Default Laptop checking in airports

"Shawn Hearn" wrote:

snip
... The only issue I ever had was one day when I was tired beyond
description and I completely forgot to put my laptop in one of those
bins at the carry-on inspection gate. The inspector simply asked me to
boot up the computer and he didn't even wait for the boot sequence to
complete before he told me to move on.

The issue is really that you will comply. I guess the thought behind
all this is that the most likely thing to fake out in a laptop to
smuggle explosives, etc on board would be the battery (usually by far
the largest single, non-obviously tampered with component that is
readily accessible from "outside" the laptop's case (i.e. you don't
have to sit there undoing case screws to get access to it -- somnething
that is likely to draw some attention to the person doing it). Also, I
_imagine_ that a laptop battery and a similarly-sized "replacement"
block of C4 or similar probably look very much the same to the X-Ray
machines...

Thus, the fact that you comply with the request and see lights starting
to blink is probably enough "evidence" that the machine poses no
significant threat.

--
Nick FitzGerald