Old February 20th, 2004, 03:54 AM
Sean Jordan

Default Driving in the former Yugoslavia

BrianE wrote in message ...
Art Sauder wrote:

On 17 Feb 2004 15:20:27 -0800, (Sean Jordan)
wrote:

Hi folks,

This summer I plan on renting a car with a buddy of mine and driving
it in a big loop around the Balkans. Now, I'm sure I'll have no
problem driving around Croatia -- been there, done that -- and Serbia
& Montenegro is reputedly only slightly worse, roadwise. The thing is,
I'd like to know if it's a good idea to include a meandering jog over
to Sarajevo and Mostar on this trip.

Roughly half the people I've polled say that driving in Bosnia and
Herzegovina is quite feasible, provided you're a careful and
reasonably skilled driver, while the other half think I'm nuts for
even contemplating the idea.

What do you think? Anybody out there care to relate their experiences
driving in Bosnia?

SJ

Going to Romania in May and want to drive across Serbia-----Belgrade
to Podgorica to get into Kotor area then Dubrovnik. Has anyone driven
the Belgrade--Podgorica route?? Comments on road condition, time it
takes, accommodation along the way etc. would be appreciated.
Art in Vancouver

I did, around 16/17 years ago, and it is well worth the
effort. The roads were OK just a bit
of due care and attention is required as it can be narrow
and steep in some places.

As i mentioned elsewhere in this thread, it's worth taking
the old road up to Cetinje, full of
hairpin bends it can be very tricky, but the view at the top
is well worth it.

Dubrovnik is great. There is a small island (sorry, the name
escapes me) just a short hop across from the old town, which
is full of roses. People will spend the day there swimming
and sunbathing, the water is crystal clear - it is just
gorgeous...

Good luck.

I agree with what you say about Dubrovnik. It's a stunning city.

Three more questions, then:

-What about the resort town of Budva? Is that worth a visit? How are
the prices nowadays?

-If I'm a reasonably competent and not-too-lead-footed driver, what
kinds of average speeds could I look forward to in the various Balkan
regions? All I know is that I can cover the flat, straight drive from
Budapest to Belgrade in the better part of an afternoon. Beyond that,
it's a bit of a mystery. The only other roads in that general
neighbourhood that I'm familiar with are the
Budapest--Zagreb--Rijeka road, as well as the coastal road running
around the Istrian peninsula.

-How treacherous is the Dubrovnik-Split coastal road on, say, a
weekday in June?

Thankee,

SJ