Old September 24th, 2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Don Kirkman

Default California / Las Vegas Information

It seems to me I heard somewhere that Patty Winter wrote in article
:

In article ,
Don Kirkman wrote:

You're probably thinking of the Citadel, in the city of Commerce
alongside I-5 about midway between downtown LA and Disneyland. It is an
old retired tire factory built a predecessor of Uniroyal, in the age of
imaginative architects, and was designed like an Assyrian or Babylonian
fortress. I've never been, so I can't comment on the shopping.

Don, do you mean it looked like that when it was a tire factory? I just
drove by it the other day and didn't recall ever having seen it before.
I thought it was a not-quite-finished outlet mall. (A friend guessed
Sumerian, but your guesses are probably better!)

Yep; I used to commute past it twice a day after it stopped making tires
but long before the major remake into a mall. The 1930s, especially,
was a time of adventurous architecture. For instance, few people know
there is (was?) a Coca Cola bottling plant in the shape of an ocean
liner closer to downtown Los Angeles. Most references call the Citadel
"Assyrian".
--
Don Kirkman