Old September 25th, 2006, 12:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

Default California / Las Vegas Information

wrote:
Don Kirkman wrote:
You're probably thinking of the Citadel, in the city of Commerce
. . . It is an old retired tire factory built a predecessor of
Uniroyal, in the age of imaginative architects, and was designed
like an Assyrian or Babylonian fortress. I've never been, so I
can't comment on the shopping.

Don, do you mean it looked like that when it was a tire factory? I
just drove by it the other day and didn't recall ever having seen
it before. I thought it was a not-quite-finished outlet mall. (A
friend guessed Sumerian, but your guesses are probably better!)

It's been a landmark for me since long 'before July 17, 1955. Looked
better than it does now, too, 'cause it was complete. Other than
clean the façade and raze the building, I don't know what they did
but, for æsthetics, they oughtn't've. Nevertheless, I'm delighted
they're preserved what little they have.

. . . in L.A., you cannot trust air you cannot see -- Len
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com