Old July 19th, 2006, 05:30 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Sapphyre

Default Driving cross country with expired tags - how to avoid police?

wrote:
Any suggestions about what route I should
take or how I can avoid getting pulled over?

You can avoid being pulled over by having valid tags (which means your
car passes safety and is registered where you live). Or by renting and
towing your vehicle.

My mom bought a new car (Canada) and her tags expired, not sure how she
overlooked that, but they were only a few weeks out of date. $78 fine
and a day in court (that she had to take off work). Do you want to have
to deal with that crap if you're passing through a town/state you're
never going to go back to?

Let me put it this way, I drove 4200 miles in a rental this past June.
I did NOT speed. Why? Because the ticket would be a bitch, and I
wouldn't be able to fight it. They love to ticket out of state vehicles
for anything they can, because they know you're not going to return to
fight it. Not sure what they do if you just don't pay... but there's a
high probability you'll get more than just a ticket for having expired
plates, like uh, you won't be driving that vehicle for a while.

My two cents.
S.