Old September 8th, 2006, 02:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
but I'm the only gay in the village of Llanddewi Brefi

Default sedation, was Bilingual in Europe versus USA

Dave Frightens Me wrote:
On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 14:55:35 +0100, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

Giovanni Drogo wrote:

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, wrote:

Basically I have read that there is evidence that "sedation"
(building of permanent settlements and the infrastructure that goes
along with it)

Do you really use the word "sedation" in this context to indicate the
action of settling down ? I may be biased by the fact we in Italian
would use the word "insediamento" which would indicate both the action
of settling down, and a settlement as a place.

In my language the word "sedazione" means only the action to make
something or somebody quiet, calm, typically in a medical context (I've
even seen a posting "pedosedazione" in a dentistry institute to
indicate the department to give anaesthetic to children), and I've heard
the same in English (my mother had gastroscopy under sedation
["gastroscopia sotto sedazione'] in Scotland).

I checked with NSOED, and it does not recognise the use of "sedation"
or "sedate" to refer in any way to the creation of settlements.

There is, however, a tendency in America to create verbs. It even has
its own verb: verb.

I think that also happens in British English. There was no pure
English even before the USA!
--

it was Dutch