Old September 4th, 2009, 04:53 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Phil[_10_]

Default Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

On Sep 4, 9:42*am, Chris wrote:
On Sep 4, 9:33 am, Phil wrote:

On Sep 4, 9:24 am, Chris wrote:

On Sep 3, 4:14 pm, Phil wrote:

On Sep 3, 9:02 am, Chris wrote:

On Sep 2, 9:43 pm, Brian wrote:

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 06:40:59 -0700 (PDT), Phil
wrote:

I said that, if the traffic is right, it could be done. *That's all.
I didn't say it wouldn't be a problem.

Phil

I would hope that people wouldn't base their hotel decision on an
assumption that traffic wouldn't be bad.

And in any case, he's wrong. I used to live on 59th st. and 9th.
Avenue, and I work on Chambers, and my work mandated that I have my
car at the job. I guarantee you that (1) the West Side Highway is not
the fastest way downtown at any time of day, and (2) not even the
fastest route will get you from 34th street to Chambers St. in 5
minutes (unless you're including helicopters, of course).

Midtown covers more ground than 59th Street. *It goes as far down as
the upper thirties IIRC. *That's a mile from 59th Street.

You should perhaps go back and read what I wrote.

I did not read this entire thread. *Sorry. *I wrote in response to
that one post.

What time did you drive to and from work?

7-730AM, 4-430PM. But I also did a lot of driving evenings and
weekends- and even early (i.e., 6AM) Saturday morning it takes longer
than 5 minutes to travel the distance I specified.

I've done it. *Maybe not from 59th Street, but I've done it. *Early in
the week, after evening rush hour.

Phil

34th to Chambers in 5 minutes? *Were you a police officer or fireman?

Or a paramedic or a cabbie or an aggressive driver or a lucky
driver....

Phil