Old June 4th, 2008, 12:56 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
grusl

Default Istanbul and Gallipoli

On Jun 4, 4:40*pm, Giovanni Drogo
wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Viviane wrote:
If you are not from Australia, it is hard to understand the devastation
caused by the first world war.

I doubt any italian/austrian/french/german/polish/russian/belgian etc.
will have any difficulty in that. At least those of a certain age.

I'm well aware that mostly French, British and Turks died at
Gallipoli. The Australian casualties were negligible relative to the
whole operation. It entered the Australian imagination by other means.
It's a footnote to history, but I'm interested in some footnotes to
history.

Moreover, it's really a way to break a trip to Istanbul - a city I've
long wanted to see - because it's relatively close by.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore