Old March 15th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Whitedog

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:55:39 GMT, Liz wrote:

Hey Liz, just adding to your comments

I gave you as much info as I could (based on your parameters) re Zanzibar.
I've been twice, I really enjoyed it.
Some pix on my website starting at
http://www.v-liz.com/safari/tanzania...bar/zanhom.htm
The first time, we went after a safari in Tanzania and flew from Selous via
Dar.

Le Selous is a must in our book, if anyone has the opportunity to go
there, It's so much more exclusive than almost anywhere else in East
Africa, for now....

The second time we went before a safari in Kenya, and flew up to Mombasa
drectly from Zanzibar.

But it doesn't have bars where you can sit out on the pavement/sidewalk.
(Unless there's one attached to the Serena Hotel?)
Stone Town's USP is its winding, very narrow streets.
The few local bar-type establishments which we saw were tiny (small
living-room sized), dark and virtually empty.

As far as I could make out, all of the 'resort-type' hotels are geared towards
tourists and expats, not locals.

You have it there. If you want to "meet and greet" locals then just
walking about will do that,learn a few words of Swahili and people
will respond kindly to you.

There is a market, probably fairly interesting, but the day we went, it was
hammering down with rain (July)

More than one market but really well worth the walk wherever you go.

You'll have no problem finding locals to talk to in Zanzibar: lots of young
men surround you trying to sell you something or tout some service. They're
not unpleasant, but very persistent.

Wherever you go in Africa there'll be people who try to sell you
something or offer a service...then again, some of them will be
genuinely interested people who just want to say hello or practice a
bit of English. Stone Town is full of the latter, smile, enjoy, and
walk and talk. Zanzibar will give you more than you can ever return.

It didn't seem to me that many locals who weren't involved in tourism spoke
much English.
However, if you want to learn Kiswahili, you're going to the right place.

It's not what you wanted to hear, but that's how it is.

There's (or was) a nice cafe-bar on the beach called Blues or something
similar, but again it's geared towards tourists/expats. Lots of expats
working in East Africa have R&R on Zanzibar.

Blues is closed at the moment (will report back if things change
there- have direct contact with site owners)
Forodhani gardens food market is THE place to eat at night though and
please don't leave Zanzibar without trying Mishkaki (grilled ,
marinated meat kebabs) or an octopus curry.

If you do get to go to Zanzibar, be prepared to be surprised and the
magic will find you too, it really is a special, unique place.

safari njema
--
.--~~,__
:-....,-------`~~'._.' Th*s s*g *s s*ff*r*ng fr*m *rr*t*bl* v*w*l syndr*m*