Old August 9th, 2008, 04:32 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Hans-Georg Michna

Default Camping in Samburu/Shaba/Buffalo Springs

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 00:45:38 -0700 (PDT), VK wrote:

Has anyone self-driven and stayed in the campsites in Samburu/Buffalo
Spring/Shaba? We are planning a trip there and had a few questions:

1/ Is it possible to simply roll up and get accommodation at a
campsite - preferably a campsite, or is pre-booking better? If the
latter, any ideas on where to pre-book?

Most likely possible. Pre-booking not necessary, particularly
not this year.

2/ What are the facilities like in the public campsites at Samburu?
When I was there last in 2002, the toilets were absolute disasters.
Has that gotten better?

I don't know. Probably not better.

3/ Any specific safety issues to be aware of (other than the general
Kenya/north Kenya stuff)?

No.

Hans-Georg
http://michna.com/kenya.htm